Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Which Way is Which?!

Gentle readers,


'Twas the night before 32 and all through the room
Not a creature was upset or feeling any gloom
The air conditioner may have shut down during the night
Causing the patient in 626 to sweat from left to right 
The resident doctor came in to bear good news 
However, her assessment seemed to only confuse
Progesterone was prescribed super late in the game
And her overall reasoning seemed pretty lame
The patient requested the MFMs all by their names
"It doesn't matter who! I need a second opinion just the same!"
But I heard the doctor exclaim as he dashed out of sight 
"You won't be needing progesterone every night!"

I sometimes have creative moments..  But my story didn't require the entire Clement C. Moore poem. But alas let me elaborate.

I am a day shy of 32 weeks!  Another milestone within my reach.  Today also marks my 8th week at Incubation Station.  8 weeks!!! Doesn't that sound insane?!?  My OB didn't think I'd make it this far.  It's not over yet, but I can actually 'almost' see the end of my pregnancy.  Life at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.  
(By the way, that phrase "light at the end of the tunnel" is an exact metaphor for a child being born..  I wonder if that's where it originated from)
Anyway, I am so proud of the girls' progress. As much as I complain about bed rest, I cannot imagine what would have happened if 8 weeks ago, I shrugged off seeing parts of my plug and didn't do anything about it.  I am so glad they've hung in there!

So the last week was slightly monotonous, except for the return of my husband from Germany 
and seeing my godparents.  I did manage to knit two baby hats!  I've never knit anything before, so I am so proud of myself.  Knitting was something I've always wanted to do, but never had the opportunity to do.  Or the patience.  Now I find it therapeutic and I have all the time in the world.  

This week has started off great.  Page and Brian brought Mikey and I breakfast on Sunday morning. It was delicious!  Bagels from the outside!  Then, my hairdresser came in and cut my hair!  I look like myself (sorta) now and I was thrilled to actually feel human like.  
Yesterday was nice too!  I had a good visit with my mom and then a good visit with mother in law and hubby.  

Now for today's a.m. shenanigans..
For some reason, my sleep has been wonky lately.  I can't sleep long enough and I am easily disturbed from slumber and not able to go back to sleep.  So at 6:00am, after being given my medicine, I couldn't go back to sleep.  I heard weird noises from my air conditioning unit and thought nothing of it, until it was completely silent.  Great, I am pregnant and this room is stuffy.  Bad combo! I figured I'd call maintenance when it got later.  Around 6:45, the resident came in--yes, THAT one.  She gave me the run down of what I can look forward to this week.  She told me I'd be starting progesterone nightly from now on.  She explained that my cervix is short (no shit, Sherlock) and that progesterone helps elongate cervical length and can close the cervix.  To me, that's not new.  My OB at home placed me on progesterone when my dynamic cervix was discovered and I was initially put on home bed rest.  But when I got to Incubation Station, the MFMs (maternal fetal medicine docs--aka high risk pregnancy doctors) said it wasn't necessary to continue the progesterone because I was already dilated.  So I let it go.  

After 7 weeks, the resident assumed it would be helpful.  At 6:45, my thoughts aren't so cohesive and I can't react immediately.  I needed time to process and think about questions. When the MFM came in, I expressed my confusion in being prescribed progesterone from the resident. The MFM again told me it was pointless to take it.  He thought it was weird and said that progesterone isn't prescribed after 28 weeks and it really isn't helpful for twin pregnancies.  Now, I am sure the resident was trying to be helpful, but let's been honest, she's made one or two errors regarding my situation (hello?  Remember The Battle of the Bulging Membranes?!) so I take her words with a grain of salt. 

The MFM then told me I'd have my cervix measured tomorrow, and I'll have a sonogram.  I think it's reevaluating time!!  Now, I am not going to be naive or anything.  But how awesome would it be if nothing changed and I am still 1.5cm dilated and 75% effaced?!  Maybe home is in my future!  The MFM said no guarantees, but at least I'll have answers--will I get discharged? Or how long will I be here for before the girls are delivered?  

Now, to play devils advocate a little:  I potentially have 4-5 weeks left.  I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't go home.  I am a compliant patient, but I am losing my patience.  And I am sad I am missing the holidays..  But then there's the voice of reason--holidays come each year and the memories will be so amazing next year when the girls come.  Like I always say, a catch-22.

I really hope for good news tomorrow!  I'll write again and update.  

Peace out cub scouts...
Johanna 










Dear god it's hot in here... Ugh.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment