Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Oh nothing, just gestating...

 Good evening ye gentle readers,


Another manic Monday has passed.  It was filled with crazy shenanigans!  

Well, at least I imagine it was.  Hopefully you all had a good Monday!  

Things here have been stable and quiet.  But, I'd be happy to fill you in on what's been shakin' at Incubation Station.

My last entry I wrote included a possibility of home. The resident doctor who told me there was a chance, took back her thoughts on convincing the MFMs to discharge me.  Apparently she saw my chart and told me I had two problems.  (Only two?!). Anyway, she said that I had 1) a short cervix that is dilated and 2) bulging membranes.  

The Battle of the Bulging Membranes
Upon my admission to the first hospital, I was told that membranes were visible.  After I was transferred to L&D at my now Incubation Station, placed on magnesium sulfate placed in a position where I was as far on my head as possible--a big wig MFM examined me.  I was told that all those little tricks and medical interventions helped gravity take course and my membranes moved away from my cervix.  However, the residents and fellows kept claiming I had bulging membranes.  So I finally asked one nurse to check my chart and let me know the real scoop.  Apparently, they were looking at the notes from my admission and not the most up to date info.  That same nurse told me to not listen to residents.  Especially ones who aren't interested in high risk pregnancies or OB/GYN, 
but have to do 6 weeks of it as part of their rotations.  Basically a resident doctor hoping to specialize in family medicine has been giving me information and false hope.  

So whether or not I go home is still a mystery.  I ask each MFM if they think I can be reevaluated and possibly discharged between 32-34weeks.  Each of them have different opinions and thoughts about my condition.  I hate it.  I get that I have no cervix and that I am dilated a teeny bit.  But most normal expectant mothers begin to dilate and their cervical length diminish around 34weeks gestation.  So why can't I be part of the normal club?  I know I am stomping my foot like a baby, and when I think of what could happen if the girls come early--my heart sinks.  I want healthy babies.  Ugh, such a catch-22.

Now despite all this bulging membrane business, I had an amazing sonogram done last week!  The girls are weighing 3lbs each!!! Their weight is fantastic!  And the resident (grrrr!!) told me that most twins are different in weights and she was surprised that they were the same.  Especially being fraternal.  So that was good to hear.  Clearly they are growing because I am getting bigger too!  Hellooooo stretch marks!!!

Despite my marks and obvious weight gain, my special friend Page and her friend Erin came to see me and we had a really great visit!  Erin brought her snazzy camera and took some lovely pictures of me. It felt amazing to look like a human being and to STAND!!  Now, I am still critical because I didn't wear enough makeup--just mascara, but hopefully they will be back and I can increase the eye makeup and do my usual!  It really meant a lot to me.  I can't fully express the gratitude.  Page is truly special and I am glad I got to meet Erin.  

My dear Mikey has been in Germany and I was feeling blue yesterday afternoon when all of a sudden, I get a package and cards from the volunteers downstairs in the hospital.  It was from some of the moms in my February 2013 Mom Facebook group! I had complained about missing the holidays and the winter season and they brought cheer to me.  These are women that I have never met, but have discussed pregnancy woes with.  I was touched and it really lifted my spirits.  These women are fantastic and I am beyond grateful! :)

So to sum it up, I am here and still pregnant.  Just hanging out and gestating.  No big deal.  Thanks for reading along with me.  Have a good day everyone!

OH--if you wanna see a bump photo, here's a little collage.  Obviously the Christmas tree picture is the most recent.  And apparently I used to stand, wear makeup and brush my hair!  








No comments:

Post a Comment