Thursday, December 27, 2012

Merry Days and Bright Nights

Good afternoon! I hope you all had a nice holiday-whatever that holiday may be!

It's amazing how slowly the week progresses after the holidays. I swear yesterday and today have been eons! But regardless of how slow it seems, I've had a pretty spectacular week.

As you know, I was discharged from Incubation Station at Inova Fairfax Hospital and I was sent to my mother in laws house. It's been a great experience to be a human and out of the hospital. I still feel weird here. I don't like being waited on or being an inconvenience. I still feel kinda like a gelatinous blob that is taking up space in this house. I am so not productive and all I manage to do is lay here. But it's a good thing, I suppose! It could be a lot worse.

Another tough thing is managing my weight and lack of muscle tone up the few steps I go up. I've never been one to just not move or exercise. In fact, I spent hours at the gym weekly prior to my pregnancy. The only reason I stopped exercising was because I was so unbelievably tired and couldn't keep my eyes open when I got home from work each day. That and my favorite kickboxing instructor was leaving. And then I had borderline placenta previa (the placenta moves too close to the cervix) and was afraid to move. Excuses excuses. I get it. I'll be back to my exercising self when the ballerinas come. Mommy jogging with a stroller--here I come!

I digress.

Anyway, the days after my discharge from the hospital were pretty boring at first. I did get a visit from my mother and 4/6 missing Euphonism members (my amazing a cappella group). I reeeeeallly wanted to see my group. It was really special. It's funny, when you spend 4+ hours a week with a singing group, you completely miss it. The routine changes and it feels strange. We had an awesome visit.

Mikey and his sister spent the evenings working on recreating the Star Wars gingerbread AT-AT walker that you may have seen floating around Facebook or whatever. I got to lay on the couch near them, but not actually participate. It's bittersweet because in October, Mikey and I discussed building it together. I really enjoy baking with Mikey. One of my favorite memories was being snowed in with him and we cooked Star Wars sugar cookies and decorated them. It was fun! There's next year. I'll be a baking machine. So domestic-like with my apron, two gorgeous daughters and flour sprinkled across my face. Ahh, perfect!!

And of course, evenings consisted of the rest of the family going to the mall for last minute Christmas shopping. I can honestly say I miss that hustle and bustle of shopping, the crowded stores, feverish wrapping and keeping secrets. Again, next year will be even better! Mikey and I get to do that AND take our girls to see Santa. I cannot wait for that!

Christmas Eve came and I spent all day in bed so I could walk down some steps and visit with people during the Shekmar/Horn annual Christmas party. My mom and stepdad came over to exchange presents with Mikey and I. It was really nice visiting with them and opening presents. Mikey and I got some really nice things! The main gift was the washing machine we were given right when I ended up in the hospital. Everything was smooth sailing until I started contracting. And the contractions led to me panicking and kinda crying. I think I made my mom and stepdad uncomfortable because I was so upset and Mikey made me chug 3-4 bottles of water. I know I've said it multiple times: water is so important! But ya know, I slip sometimes. Anyway, my parents left and Mikey made me go upstairs to lay down until the party started. I wanted to be right next to the bathroom because honestly, 3-4 bottles of water meant I was peeing every few minutes. But the contractions stopped and I was fine to come downstairs and see everyone. The party was great! I laid on the couch and visited with friends and ate. It felt really nice to dress up and visit in a setting that wasn't the hospital!

One of my favorite parts of Christmas Eve is watching the cars and tons of families drive by the house to see the decoration. Mikey works so hard to make his house magical each year and it pays off. The lights bring joy to so many and I love seeing the flashes from the camera and seeing children's eyes in awe of the beauty. We even had carolers come by and sing! It was amazing!!

Christmas morning came and it was amazing. So many lovely gifts. I was sad not to spend it with my family, but I was afraid to go out and shuffle around too much. Mikey and I got toys and things for the girls, including the twin bassinet pack and play! It's the first of the baby "nursery" objects. I received a lovely necklace from Mikey and some clothes for when I am back to my non-pregnant self. Susan, Alex, Victoria and Mikey had lovely Christmases as well.

The doctor gave me permission to go to my grandparents house for Christmas dinner. Their house is 5 minutes from where I am now and there were no stairs for me to climb. There are stairs, but they have one of those electronic chairs that carry people up to the next floor. It was kind of humiliating, but helpful. I didn't have to worry about the steps and I wasn't separated from my family. I missed everyone so much. I didn't get to spend thanksgiving with them and this made up for it.

After dinner, Mikey drove me to our townhouse. I got to walk inside and lay on the bottom floor couch and visit with our stupid cats, Jake and Patrick. It was one of thee best presents. I had missed home so much and I missed the cats. They didn't forget me! :)

Yesterday morning, Mikey and I braved the inclement weather and headed for our appointment. I had a 25 minute NST (non-stress test: monitoring the girls' heartbeats for 25 minutes and seeing accelerations and decelerations and back to baseline). After the NST, we had a sonogram. It was the absolute best sonogram we have had to date! The girls were gorgeous!!! I got to see both of them in perfect 4-D! Mikey was thrilled at how beautiful they looked. When the sonogram was done, we had a follow up with one of the MFMs. We discussed an eviction date.. We will schedule a C Section at the next appointment! AND I was told I could possibly be placed on modified bed rest. Modified bed rest means HOME!! I'll be 34 weeks next week and at that point the doctors don't really try to stop labor.

I can't wait until next week's appointment. I'll get another sonogram and I'll find out about modified bed rest. It will be amazing.

That's all I have for you readers! Thanks for all your support and for reading my story. And for those this applies to: congratulations on the engagements and pregnancy announcements! It's so exciting to see life continuing!!

I will follow up next week. But in the meantime: I wish you and yours a healthy and happy 2013!!

Johanna






No comments:

Post a Comment